s.y.hong [at] lancaster.ac.uk
Lancaster University Management School
Bailrigg, Lancaster LA1 4YX, United Kingdom
I am a financial econometrician at Lancaster University Management School.
Before joining Lancaster I worked at Nottingham University as an Assistant Professor.
Previously, I was at Cambridge University where I completed Mathematical Tripos Part III and then
a PhD in Pure Mathematics and Mathematical Statistics in 2018, supervised by Prof. Oliver Linton.
My primary research interests lie on developing time series methods for financial applications.
• Volatility estimation and forecasts using price durations
(with Ingmar Nolte, Stephen J. Taylor and Xiaolu Zhao).
Journal of Financial Econometrics forthcoming, (2021). [Paper Link]
• Nonparametric estimation of infinite order regression and its application to the risk-return
tradeoff (with Oliver Linton). Awarded the Smith/Rayleigh-Knight Prize on an earlier version.
Journal of Econometrics 219, (2020). [Paper Link]
• An Investigation into Multivariate Variance Ratio Statistics and Their Application to Stock
Market Predictability (with Hui Jun Zhang and Oliver Linton).
Halbert White Jr. Memorial Invited Paper.
Journal of Financial Econometrics 15, (2017). [Paper Link]
• Estimating the Quadratic Covariation Matrix for Asynchronously observed high frequency
stock returns corrupted by Additive Measurement Error (with Sujin Park and Oliver Linton).
Journal of Econometrics 191, (2016). [Paper Link]
• Small Deviations in L2-norm for Gaussian Dependent Sequences
(with Mikhail Lifshits and Alexander Nazarov).
Electronic Communications in Probability 21, (2016). [Paper Link]
Teaching – All materials are available on Moodle
From Year 2019:
⁃ Topics in Advanced Econometrics II (PhD)
⁃ Research Methods for Risk Management (MSc)
⁃ Intro to Quantitative Methods (MSc)
⁃ Financial Markets (BSc)
⁃ Advanced Topics in Finance (MSc)